What’s the US equivalent of double and single cream?


Answers ( 2 )


    When it comes to baking, many recipes from the U.S. call for double and single cream. But what exactly is the US equivalent of double and single cream?

    Double cream is a rich, thick cream that has a high-fat content. It’s often used in desserts or as a topping for cakes and pies. Single cream, on the other hand, is a lighter version of double cream with a lower fat content. It can be used in place of milk in coffee or tea, or as a base for soups and sauces.

    So, what’s the best way to substitute double and single cream in recipes from the U.S.? For double cream, you can use heavy whipping cream or even evaporated milk. For single cream, you can use whole milk or half-and-half.


    The US equivalent of double and single cream is an important topic for those in the culinary world. Double cream and single cream are often used interchangeably, but when it comes to their American counterparts, there are some key differences that must be understood.

    Heavy cream, also known as heavy whipping cream, is the closest substitute to double cream in the US. This type of dairy product is produced by separating out a higher fat content from pasteurized cows’ milk. It has a fat content of between 36-40%, making it similar to European double creams which typically contain around 48% fat content. Heavy whipping cream can be used as a topping or ingredient for savory dishes such as soups and sauces or sweet dishes such as ice-creams and desserts.

    Half-and-half is the most commonly used substitute for single cream in the United States.

Leave an answer